Entries

Monday, 14 February 2011

Angkor Wat - Cambodia - Siem Reap

Angkor Wat
The night bus from shianokville to Siem Reap is poorly constructed, to say the least. The beds consist of 2 seats strapped together – no sheets, blankets or any other such luxury. The top bunks are supported by a haphazard frame that looks welded together by Edward scissors hands, and every time the bus moves the whole thing squeaks like a metal framed bed in a Texas motel. We get the best (sarcasm) seat on the bus – right above the wheels on the bottom deck just to accentuate the claustrophobia. Kath’s face is right next to a hole that pumps in noxious gasses right into her lungs. Luckily when we stop I demand we move, but I feel sorry for the unfortunate Cambodians who are given our spot.
The new seats rock and sway even more with the motion of the bus and all in all it is a pretty horrendous journey.
So we arrive too early for a hotel room (6am) and crash in the hotels waiting room for a while. Eventually we get 2 hours sleep and head out to the temples via tuk-tuk. The first impressions of Siam Reap are impressive, I like the place’s character and authenticity, it feels like final we see some of the real Cambodia.
Angkor Wat itself is one temple among a complex of amazing structures that span over a vast area and provide an insatiable feast for the eyes and the min: as one ponders how such a thing could have been built so many years ago. Unfortunately it soon becomes apparent that I am suffering from some kind of illness – Initially I think sun stroke, but as the visits to the toilet add up it soon becomes obvious it is another bout of food poisoning! DONT EAT THE BBQ FISH!!! No matter how clean and westernised the resteraunt.
I manage to walk around the vast complexes but often must pause for breath and relax: this is what it must feel like for those massively obese Americans that pant walking up stairs! Not the best state to be in when viewing “the eighth wonder of the world”! Still the place is inspirational, don’t get me wrong!
The most impressive thing about the place is the size. The second most impressive thing is the age. We’re talking over 1000 years old and on a scale like the pyramids, 20 or so temples over 50 miles squared. It’s majorly monumental and gargantuan epic stuff. The temple at Bayon is an amazing myriad of large smiling faces, all greeting you with their happy and bubbling features. The level of detail is insane – with each inlay picturing a beautiful scene from the past.
The temple complex that I found most awe-inspiring was the one that is overrun by nature. Wise grey trees sprout immovably from the ancient stone – seemingly drawing all the nutrients they need from the spiritual energy of the monuments themselves. Roots literally delve into 10 feet high platforms of solid rock as sloping trees cling to the structure. How it all stays together is a miracle itself!
In the evening we explore the Angkor Wat temple, just in time to witness its incandescent orange hue in the sunset. The sight defies description, it’s size and magnificence simply leaving one breathless.
I wish I could say more but ill and tired I didn’t quite get the best of our day at the temples, but none the less it was an impressive sight and something that will hang in the memory for many years to come.
I stay up most the night on the toilet and needless to say feel like crap in the morning. Due to this the day is mediocre to say the least – the highlight being some BBQ snake and Crocodile in the evening when I finally feel better. Snake is chewy but very flavoursome, crocodile though is up there with veal as my favourite meat! I recommend it to anyone lucky enough to try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment